Crypterra has been off and on the past month and due to their lack of communication on twitter people have started to panic. I don’t blame them but why are people panicking when you should only invest money that you can afford to lose? Maybe people are investing more than they should within their budget?
Anyway back to the topic, Crypterra 10 days ago made a new website under a new brand ‘X-MINING’ and got us all excited again and they said we would be able to use the new “User Cabinet” management system. We waited and just as imagined nothing happened, crypterra or X-MINING lying again…. BUT wait 10 days later we now have access!! Here is the link: https://clientarea.crypterra.net
Be WARNED when logging into the new client management system, the SSL certificate has not yet been installed, meaning when putting in your password potentially its being shown as the traffic is not encrypted, that being said if you do log into the platform like I have then I suggest setting up 2 Factor Authentication as soon as you get in, under the Security tab.
Surprise surprise we cannot withdraw our payments yet as we just get a screen saying ‘Technical Works’ (screenshot below). The new client area is very impressive and looks very professional but is this just trying to keep us happy and delaying things still? Who knows. Once we start withdrawing from X-Mining I will feel much better. Although everyone got a 10% bonus to their mining power as compensation.
Why are they doing this??? Cut a long story short whether this is actually true or not basically Crypterra had their mining farm in china, in the news Chinese government are trying to push out bitcoin miners because of them using so much energy, so Crypterra had to move their operations and I think they under estimated how long it would take to move all their stuff and get setup again.
Now that they’re called X-Mining, i suspect that the domain name will change to www.x-mining.cc, so keep an eye on this domain as well as the normal Crypterra one. How do I know this? Well if you look at their current website now they reference the above domain name all over their website.
They really need to communicate more with their customers and give them daily information regarding the status as going 10 days without any response what so ever puts doubts in peoples minds. I will post a new blog when we are able to withdraw again, so keep an eye on our website.